Thursday, February 14, 2013

LOAD213 - Day 12 - p. w. m.

The prompt for Lain Ehmann's Layout a Day (LOAD213 - Scrap Happier) challenge for Day 12 was to scrap about starting to love someTHING because you love someONE. This is a page about how I did not like wrestling before my son started the sport.

Journaling reads:

When Liam was seven years old, in the second grade, he asked me if he could join the wrestling program. With visions of metal folding chairs being crashed across someone's back and the likes of Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Mr. T, and George the Animal Steel in my head, I shuddered and said, "Surely you don't want to wrestle! Why don't we sign you up for basketball instead?" And that's exactly what we did, hoping this wrestling thing was just a phase and would pass. When Liam was eight years old, in the third grade, he asked me AGAIN if he could join the wrestling program. But this time, he BEGGED me to let him join. Defeated and completely begrudgingly, I signed him up. About six weeks after his first practice it was time to take him to a tournament. At that time, our wrestling club coaches didn't go with us to the tournaments, so, we basically had to coach Liam ourselves. We sat on the mat's sidelines, and the only thing I could think to yell - over and over again - was "Get up!" The adrenaline rush of those first few tournaments, where he placed second, first, and first, will stay with me forever. And from that moment, I was hooked. I had in advertently become a PWM...Psycho Wrestling Mom!! Liam is now in his fourth year of wrestling and I love it just as much today as I did at his first tournament. He wrestles as part of a team, for which I am the Team Mommager. These are my boys. These are his brothers, this is a family. And these ladies are some of my fellow psycho wrestling moms (and a PsychoSIS). It's funny how something at which I originally turned up my nose has become one of my biggest joys. Really, though, seeing my son this happy is truly what makes my heart sing.

No comments: