Monday, October 8, 2012

LOAD1012 - Day 6 - Mr. Fix-It

The prompt for Lain Ehmann's Layout a Day (LOAD1012 - S.H.O. Time) challenge for Day 6 was: To take a sticker sheet with some letters already used, and create different words from the remaining letters.  Then to use those words as inspiration for a page.  (More on this idea can be found here.)

I loved this prompt IMMEDIATELY!! Unfortunately, my Saturday was jam packed, and I didn't get around to scrapping until Sunday, but better late than never.  Here are the sticker sheets that I worked with -
Before:

After:

After-After:

The Lay Out:

 

Journaling Reads:


My dad could fix anything...Whether you asked him to or not. When we were assembling Ashton's nursery, we used this old dresser as his changing table.  It was actually the first dresser my parents had as a young married couple, and it was almost an antique back then!  So, this dresser has seen better days.  My dad noticed that one of the drawers wasn't sliding in and out properly.  So, he dropped to the ground and started tinkering with it until he fixed it.  These days when I need something fixed, I have to remind myself that he's no longer here to fix it for me.  Thing #1,572 that I miss about him.

Some observations about the process and products:

  1. Truth be told, if I would have chosen to scrap instead of Zumba in the morning, I could have created a page on Saturday instead of doing it on Sunday.  But, Zumba is a priority this month, too.  Something's gotta give sometimes.
  2. Whenever I hear hymns, I think of my dad.  So, I listened to Alan Jackson's Precious Memories gospel CD. 
  3. When I first made the words out of the stickers, I made the word Mr. ...and then a bunch of other words...and then the word fix-it.  I immediately knew I needed to put those two words together for a title.  And I knew EXACTLY what pic I wanted to use.  Fortunately, because of my library of memories photo organizations system, I was able to find this picture in less than 60 seconds.  Gotta love that!!
  4. The crochet flower is covering up my mom's foot in the photo.
  5. I dragged my white ink pad across Kraft card stock to get the back ground paper look.  I like it.
  6. I'm really digging these little Smash list tags.  
  7. The blingy circles are covering up a rub on debacle.
  8. I did not cry whilst scrapping this page.  Which has not been the case with the last 20 layouts I've done about my dad.  I think the space between when he passed and now is definitely making it easier to record my memories of him.  It doesn't me I miss him any less, it just means his absence is no longer raw pain.



1 comment:

Sassy Breese said...

How facinating to walk through your process with you. I laughed at the foot-flower and the rub on debacle.

There are no mistakes in scrapping. Only oportunities to further express our creativity though additional embellishment.